Is subscribing to Hotlink Postpaid free phone package worth it?

 I was a long time user of Hotlink until 3 years ago where my work place has poor Maxis/Hotlink coverage and I switched to other telcos. But when they installed a Maxis/Hotlink communication tower on top of the building where I worked, their reception became superb and I decided to switch back.. I have been using Hotlink Postpaid for nearly 2 years now and I am not on any contract. Since my usage is a bit higher on weekdays and not on wifi, I had to subscribe to the higher data plan to ensure I have sufficient data available for my usage. 





Under current promo, Hotlink has several very affordable plans which will lock you in for a period of 24 months (contract). You can get C12 or Y11 for just RM1 upfront payment or Y20 for RM99 with a 24-months contract. Is this worth it?

Let's do the math:
Example: Vivo Y20 cost RM599 in Vivo's official shop in Lazada and comes with free shipping. 

a. Cost of Phone              : RM99
b. Savings on the phone  : RM 500
c. 
Lock in period             : 24 months
d. Savings per month      : RM20.83

What does a RM60/month plan gets you? 
According to Hotlink's website, you'll be getting 15GB of data (for all types of usage) and 15GB of Youtube only data. 

So if you lock yourself up for a 24 months period and pay upfront of RM99 and RM60/month, you'll get a Vivo Y20 phone. Is this worth it? Yes if you use that Vivo Y20 phone or give it/sell it to someone else. So what happens is you're getting a value of RM20 by getting the phone.

Just imagine this, I paid RM60/month for almost 2 years but I didn't get any devices or gadgets plan. If I have done so 2 years' ago, I might have got myself a heavily subsidized phone. Effectively in this case, you'll be paying RM40/month to utilize the RM60/month 15+15GB data. It's a no brainer but only if you're sure that you'll like to stick with Hotlink and will not need to migrate to another telco mid-way. 

Featured

A glimpse of how 'full' COVID19 vaccination will be..

After a year-ish of Coronavirus outbreak, we all know that COVID19 will not end or disappear, but it'll be just like other diseases (thi...